blue mounds

a nice weekend. friday night, i dipped into the beer supply (2 sierras and 1 two women) for several reasons. mostly, i wasn't going to feel well on saturday anyway so why not at least enjoy friday night? robin had agreed to watch her friend's two kids which involved her saying there friday night - so i puttered around the house (half in the bag because i have zero tolerance) doing bike work and such. saturday morning, calvin and i had a lazy morning before getting moving. he loves riding bikes and playing baseball so, i guess you could say we are pretty compatible (and we did a lot of it). when robin got home, i got some yardwork done and then during nap time i was able to get out for a bit to test my work from the night before. all systems were go.

i left a little late yesterday but made it to the top of blue mounds with 25 minutes to spare (after averaging a smidge over 20 mph on my 'warm-up.' registered quick, pinned on the number and headed to the start just in time to catch robin and cal. before i knew it, the starter was giving me a count from 10 and i was off. my training since 9 mile hasn't been ideal so my goal was just to get the carbon out so to speak. i got a good start and drove the pace for the first 7 miles. melcher started right behind me and caught me quick but only ended up putting 3 minutes on me so i feel ok about that (based on the pace of which he passed and pulled away from me, i thought it was going to be closer to 5 minutes). on the uphill portion, i went as hard as i could but for some reason couldn't get my heartrate up. i'm fit but don't have a lot of high end right now, so all in all a 32:21 (19th place overall) is acceptable to me. i feel like that is the fastest i could have gone on that day, and that is all you can really do. the rest of the day was spent lounging, grocery shopping, hanging as a family and watching a movie.

last night, calvin wanted his mommy to read to him. after the books were done, he wanted me to rock him for a while. after i got up there and we got situated in the chair he looked up at me and said 'daddy, i had a wonderful day.' man that kid melts my hear.

i'm on the fence about cross practice. on one hand, it still seems a little early. on the other, i sure could use the intensity. maybe i'll just show up on the single speed and see what i can do with that. i was waiting for the tt but now i think i'll just put my road wheels on the new cross bike and try to get everything dialed. i'd like to get my schwalbes glued up in the next couple of weeks. cross is almost here!

happy monday.




Comments

Popular Posts