the brewer game...

as promised...some pictures from the game.

the television truck.



here i am, standing in right field...i mean, ON the field.



here we are, in the fucking dugout (i can't even believe it happened).



we sat right next to the pro scouts....



anyway, walking on the field and sitting in the dugout was a childhood dream come true (sort of--i figured i'd be playing when i was dreaming as a child). every time i go to a major league game i am transported to my first game ever...

My first major league baseball game at county stadium is still one of my favorite memories. I wasn’t very old, 5 or 6? It was the only time I remember going on an extended trip with my dad. As we drove up, I remember being floored at the sight
of the grand stadium, a giant in relation to the surrounding parking lots…it sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it. The smells of hotdogs and grass, the sounds of the bat cracking during batting practice and the stadium organ…everytime I go to a game I re-live the initial sensations I had that day. The good guys won that day too, robin yount hit a ground rule double to plate paul molitor (I distinctly remember molitor slipping as he rounded third pace…he tripped on the base watching the ball bounce over the right field wall). The crowd roared in satisfaction…and there was a little boy in his replica jersey that was very happy that day.

I cling to that day in my history for many reasons. It was the moment in time that i developed my love for the game of baseball, an experience that forged a passion to play that I held until those sour days in high school when I justwasn’t good enough to make the team (even though I had consistently made all city teams in babe ruth) and a passion to follow the game that I still have today. It is a highpoint in the relationship with my father that I haven’t gotten many of in my life. There have been many disappointments in that regard that I’ve tried to hide in my mind’s eye, but this one moment on that warm summer’s day long ago is a fond memory I hope I never forget.

Anyway, this has morphed into something I wasn’t expecting. the game was a great experience. when i was 10 years old i was sure i was going to be a major league baseball player.tuesday was the closest i'll ever come to that, but that is ok. dreams aren't supposed to come true...they are fantasy. goals based on ability is what one should really hang their hat on.

this is what i've learned in life so far, although it took me almost 30 years to figure it out...

that doesn't mean i'll stop dreaming, not for a second.

Comments

ScootsOnMoots said…
lemme guess.....the fox connection came through?? those kids rock and i felt bad i missed kor at the bucks game and she even tried to get me on the camera!!! i was totally in a zone with my beer.

Popular Posts