TCM 2018

Going into this year's version of TCM I knew that I hadn't been as consistent as last year but that I had managed a few "better" workouts relative to the long run (the 35K trail race at Battle Creek and a fairly recent 22 miler). My legs weren't feeling as good as I "tapered" the week prior. And, I was still feeling a little chapped about Boston. So, motivation was high to do well but I just didn't know if I had done enough work.

We got our race packets on Saturday (between soccer and a Costco run) - this makes me smile as prior to having kids race weekends were so much different - and then most of the rest of the day hanging out at home.

Robin did the 10 mile - so that meant getting downtown a little earlier than last year. We drove to Hamline and took the train with Pat and Katie, super convenient as the station is right at the 10 mile start. After milling about (in the Mill city), waiting for the bathroom, and finding the bag drop, it was time to get in the queue for Robin (time was going quickly). I saw her off and then got back in the bathroom line. As it was my turn to get into the porta the guy coming out was none other than my high school cross country coach (and chemistry teacher) Jim Schmitt. It was a very pleasant surprise and we spent the 45 minutes or so leading up to race time catching up. It was nice because I was too distracted to be nervous.

I said good bye to Jim and Cheryl and got into my corral to wait. I was really cold - and was shivering uncontrollably. I was worried that I was wasting so much energy but nothing much I could do about it. Maybe next year (if cold) I'll wear a shirt I can throw off after the start. I got in the general vicinity of the 3:05 pace group with the plan being to hang around them the first half and then see where I was at. As with everything this race morning, the time went fast and we were off.

The first few miles are fun - right through downtown, past the Walker, and into Kenwood neighborhood. There are so many people watching and yelling it can be really hard to control oneself but I knew that if I went out too hot I would be in trouble. So, I hung around 20 seconds back of the 3:05 group and just tried to enjoy the first part (and not think about the pain that was in my future). I stopped to use the bathroom in the first few miles (the first stop of 2) and that went smoothly - and gave me an excuse to do a short surge to get back into position. Miles 1-8 were smooth and uneventful. 8 through 12 I hit my first bad patch - which was accompanied by a hot spot on my left foot- both of which were very unnerving. Too early to feel bad, and if that hot spot developed into a blister then it could be game over. Saw my Dad at mile 12 and that pulled me out of the funk... I was able to refocus on a steady pace. The foot hurt the whole race but never developed into a blister.

As with last year, miles 13 through 20 were my favorite. I love running the stretch of Minnehaha (after Nakomis) and West River Road. Something about that stretch suits my running style and I was able to push the pace at times. At this point, the 3:05 group was out of view and I was OK with that. I wanted to beat last year's time so I focused on that. Crossing Franklin is always a bit jarring to me.... maybe it's the sharp right hand turn, maybe the bridge which always seems windy, maybe the chaos that is the Medtronic aid station. Any way, both last year and this year, it took me a bit to get back into a rhythm. But I did - and by mile 20 I felt like I was back in control and running steady. Running from the Marshall bridge to St. Thomas is the infamous stretch of the course, and while it is hard to avoid the effects this stretch has on the last 5 miles or so, it's another stretch I really enjoy. I run it a lot in training, it's close to home, and there are good crowds. This year I wanted to maintain control - not over cooking the section and I did a good job with that. Summit gradually climbs to just past Snelling - and by the time I reached Snelling I was starting to feel the effort. The last few miles were really hard, I slowed down but not as much as those around me as I was continuing to pass people. From Hamline to the end of Summit felt like it took forever, but once I made the turn I knew I just had a few more minutes of pain to endure. As I got to the cathedral, I tried to "use up" what was left (which wasn't much) and I cruised across the line in 3:08.29.

Some additional information for my future use:
- Gu Roctane at 45 min, 1.5 hr, 2.0 hr, and 2.5 hr of race time. Good approach, could have used one more (with caffeine) at the end but no real bonk - just normal end of race fatigue.
- 2 bathroom breaks
- Water only at most aid stations. Did not walk while drinking.
- In the photos I've seen, I'm very happy with my running technique/form. More upright than years past.

As I'm coming out of the soreness fog, the inevitable question begins to surface - what next? I still want sub 3 - really bad. I also want to do a spring marathon - will be considering a few options over the next few months before committing. The key is that I get back into the training routine asap (within reason these old muscles need a break). I really think I'd benefit from development of my core and upper body strength. I'd also like to do moderate long runs (10 - 16 miles) every 2 weeks throughout the winter (and not just in the 10 weeks leading up to whatever race I choose).

I really enjoyed this years race - all in all I felt under control but still maximized what I had on that given day. Even more encouraging, I can realistically see how I can get under 3 hours and I'd really like to do that - even if it means 2 minute improvements per race for another 5 races. But I do think I could do it as soon as my next attempt with the right training/build up.

Finally, both last year and this year I got really emotional at the finish. I feel so fortunate that at 41 I am healthy enough to still do this crazy thing at a reasonably high level. I feel fortunate that we decided to move to a place that feels like home. I feel fortunate that Robin was able to experience her race (and the energy - both good and annoying - of being downtown with thousands of others before sunrise), and I feel lucky that my parents still come to watch their son compete. While I've only done 4, the marathon has had a big impact on my life and I think all that comes pouring out when I finish.

Happy Thursday.



Comments

Popular Posts