this is how i tell it

bike commuting is about the best thing i've added to my lifestyle over the past couple of years. i've mentioned this before, but i love getting to experience the weather/change of seasons first hand and it has the added utility of giving me near daily bike time as our lives only get busier. plus, you see weird shit.

for example, last night on my ride home i was at a busy road crossing and someone on a very upright hybrid type bike wearing a bright green construction zone vest pulled along side of me. i said 'hello' and then went on my way, not thinking much about it. well, about halfway down blackhawk road i hear the click of someone riding with/behind me. i took a look and it was hybrid man. now, blackhawk is undulating and while i'm not as fast as i used to be, i wasn't riding that hard and i'm on a single speed i thought it odd that this guy was able to ride with me. so, i gave it a little dig to see if i could shake him. i got a little gap before i turned onto twin valley road. there is a pretty sizable hill almost immediately after you turn so i kept on the gas. all of a sudden i hear the gear shift clicks again - he was still there (and even more disturbing in the moment was that he was breathing normal)! as he passed me, i heard a humming noise. turns out, his bike was motor assisted - so really i was doing well to hold him off as long as i did. he was moving at moped speeds on old sauk so whatever assist he was getting was substantial.

it gave me a pretty good chuckle (once i caught my breath that is).

happy thursday.

Comments

Popular Posts