catharsis...

Time away from everything I love in life…seems to be the general rule of life. If you want to do something you enjoy, if you want to have people (and animals) you love, then you must be away from them 8-10 hours a day. Add in sleep time and you’re talking almost ¾ of a day! What time is left should be quality…that should be the focus. I mean who really gets all the time they really want? And when we do get the time we usually piss it away…and there are a lot of things to piss it away on that really mean nill. ( I swear if I watch one more episode of house hunters I should be shot).

Maybe this is common knowledge, maybe I’ve been living in the dark. Maybe I’m selfish. The latter isn’t really a maybe. Selfishness is mandatory for the athletic pursuits I choose to pursue. But it attacks other facets of life like an immune response to a virus. I guess the key is balance. The problem is that I’m not very coordinated. I should spend more quality time with my wife. I should pay more attention to the dog while he is a puppy. I should do this and that and that and this. If I died tomorrow I’d have regrets, and for that I’m sorry. But the only cure for that is effort. Effort towards what matters most in life.

The past few months have been challenging. We’ve had a bit of everything, from nuisance to near emergency…and the whole time I’ve been thinking about it in terms of ‘woe is us’ when I should have taken it as a learning experience. I’ve learned that my wife and I are a good team…when one of us falters the other is able to kick it up a notch. I’ve learned that I take a lot of things for granted. I’ve learned that where we are in life didn’t just fall in our laps, we work hard for it…sometimes that hard work gives easy payouts and sometimes that hard work gives a payout of more hard work. Such is life and life is pretty good.

Sorry for the catharsis. Catharsis…interesting that one word can mean purging one’s emotions and also purging one’s bowels. Those crazy greeks.

Comments

Popular Posts