barn owl alarm clock

there was a barn owl outside our bedroom window last night. those things make some awful sounds. i wonder if that owl knew that we have two great horned owls that live in the neighborhood (one of the barn owl's biggest predators)? anyway, i'm tired this morning.

the race...man oh man. the course was very difficult, 12.5 mile lap with at least 900 vertical feet. my shoulder was fine...but my stomach was not. my prerace meal felt like it was just sitting in my gut. if i pedaled too hard, i would get the side stitch of all stiches. after lap 1, i pulled off the course and sat in my car while my stomach sent searing pain through my abdomen. i was sure i wouldn't be able to keep going. my hands and feet were cramping and i felt nauseous. it was crazy. after about 25 minutes, still feeling shitty, i pulled my shoes and helmet back on and went out to 'just ride a little bit more.' i suffered for another 3+ hours on the course pulling the plug after 37.5 miles.

the start:


end of lap 1:


i'm dissappointed to not have ridden the full 50 miles...but i can walk away with a moral victory knowing that i have at least a little mental strength to push through some adversity. i wish i could have ridden the last lap but there was no way.

anyway, monday. at least it's a short week.

happy monday.

Comments

Popular Posts