Here we go again

After spending the past 9 months since TCM 2017 being active only when I felt like it, I'm ramping back up for a run at TCM 2018. This was a late decision, somewhat formed by the fact that my counterpart in marriage is doing the TC 10M with work folks... when she told me she got in something clicked in my head. Marathoning is hard - but the rewards are deeply satisfying and I immediately conjured the rewards somewhat forgetting the physical cost. I'm still chasing a time goal and I'm not sure this cycle will get me there because of its tardiness in starting - but so far the sensations have been good. I ran 16 miles last weekend and while the recovery was a bit harsh, the actual run went really well considering I haven't done a run over 10 miles since early October 2018. I'm shooting for an 18 miler this weekend, and am registered for the Bluff Tuff  35K next weekend. We are spending the last week of August in the Northwoods and I'm hoping that, while the focus of the week will be family, I can also scrape together something resembling a training camp between the swimming and fishing and hiking and touristing and beer sipping. I'll make the final go/no go decision on TCM in early September based on how my training has gone.

Boston is still the overall goal so a fall marathon was primarily to get me moving and ready to train through the winter, but if I could take some time off my 2017 result I'd be super stoked. As I sit here today - my goals for the race would be as follows:

1) Get to the start line healthy.
2) Match my time from last year.
3) Beat my time from last year.
Reach goal: sub 3:00

These will adjust as I get through the cycle.

The boys were away last week and R and I took the week as an opportunity to do a training camp. We were active each day, running and mountain biking - I did the last ESTRS and was encouraged by the result. I struggled mightily through the first 3 events, but felt pretty good in the last one. This played out in the results as well:

Lebanon Hills 10K: 43rd
French 5K: 37th
Lebanon Hills 7M: 51st
Hyland 4M: 14th

Granted, the finale had a fall like feel (the others - especially both Lebs - were hot/high dew point slogs - but I was encouraged with my progress none the less. As I've aged, I've become worse in the heat. Need to keep practicing that!

Thanks for reading (as if).

Happy Thursday.


Comments

Popular Posts