Cranking along

Since I have last posted...

My planned 18 miler melted to around 14 miles due (in part) to heat but more specifically, my poor preparation for the heat. This was a bummer in that it made me nervous the entire week leading up to the Bluff Tuff 35K. The good thing was the wake up call that if I'm running distance in heat I need to drink and eat on the run.

Bluff Tuff came with upper 80's heat but even more worrisome a air quality warning. I decided to carry a bottle and fill it at aid stations along the way. It was a 2 lap race with access to water 4 times per lap. I also carried Gu Rocktane as a trial - I ate 1 every 45 minutes and that worked well. I focused on a moderate pace for the first lap (running with my friend Greg) and then started to pick it up on lap 2. Pushed pretty hard in the middle of lap 2 and then hung on to finish. Surprisingly, I was  on the third step of the overall podium.

Yesterday I under estimated my loop and ended up running a solid 10 miles at around 7:15 average pace. I was pretty sore going into it but felt OK through the run. Progress I guess.

I'm using this week as a cut back type week (10 miler aside) and then will focus on getting some good trail miles in next week (we are renting a cabin in Wisconsin all week).

Happy Wednesday.

Comments

Popular Posts