fast

the weekend (in reverse):

yesterday was the camrock cyclocross race (my first race of the season). hot, dry and dusty were the adjectives for this one. i got a great start leading to the 180 degree turn into the trails (third wheel behind ron and marc). held my position for a bit and as we were approaching the big hill before exiting the woods marc flatted and slowed (causing me to slow) while a couple other guys were accelerating to pass. i couldn't regain the wheels having lost some momentum. the lead group of three was formed and held for the remainder of the race. i dangled about 30 seconds behind for the full hour of racing (watching the leaders race up ahead of me) but couldn't close the gap. a couple of guys bridged up to me and we worked together for most of the race but they finally dropped me with 2 laps to go. i caught one of them towards the finish but was outsprinted for 6th place. ron took the big win (congrats) which is awesome. but, inevitably your riding buddies are also your measuring standards and i feel like i could have mixed it up if i had somehow made the lead group. i didn't though so that is that. i'll take for my first 60 minute cross effort of the year.

saturday was golf at the ridge. we started on hole 12 and hit some pretty good shots through #17 (including missing a hole in one but inches on the par 3 17th which was playing 200yds over water). our team struggled a little during the middle of the round but we ended up playing ok. we shot even par which was good for a mid pack finish - not bad for three guys that each haven't played since august. it was a great day to be out on a great course.

my experiences at fat tire and now this cross race have showed me my racing weakness (sustained power on flats/false flats). i'm already 'strategizing' how to improve this. there could be some road racing in my 2012 future!

happy monday.

Comments

Popular Posts